Thanksgiving Leftovers Stuffed Mushrooms.
November 20, 2014
Posted by on
Guys! We’re one week out from my very favorite holiday (because it’s all about food and family, my two favorite things!). Being as food obsessed as I am, I’m already thinking about delicious leftovers. The day after Thanksgiving at my family’s house is usually a continuation of the festivities, we dig into leftovers and friends and family pops in to visit. Of course no one would turn down a post-Thanksgiving leftover turkey sandwich, but I thought I would mix it up this year and try to repurpose some leftover side dishes to make a festive appetizer to enjoy while family is still visiting at the end of the holiday weekend. Leftover mashed potatoes, stuffing, and sweet potatoes got a little dressed up and repurposed as filling for stuffed mushrooms — the taste of Thanksgiving in a bite sized snack! Full recipe below.
- Mushroom caps
- Leftover mashed potatoes
- Parmesan cheese
- Leftover baked sweet potatoes (1 potato)
- 1 tsp Butter
- 1 tsp Honey
- Leftover stuffing
- Cooked italian sausage
- Salt and pepper
- Parsley (for garnish)
- Green Onions (for garnish)
- Crispy bacon (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Clean the mushroom caps and remove stems.
- Using a small spoon or melon-baller, scoop out the inside of the mushroom caps to make room for filling (cup the mushrooms in your hand to keep them from breaking.
- For Mashed Potatoes: fill mushroom caps with leftover potatoes, sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- For Sweet Potatoes: combine sweet potatoes with a drizzle of honey and melted butter; fill caps with mixture.
- For Stuffing: combine leftover stuffing with cooked and chopped italian sausage, fill caps with mixture.
- Arrange filled mushroom caps in a baking dish, salt and pepper to taste, and bake for 20 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
- Remove and garnish: add green onions to the top of the mashed potato stuffed mushrooms; chopped crispy bacon to sweet potato stuffed mushrooms, and minced parsley to the top of stuffing filled stuffed mushrooms.