September 21, 2015
Posted by on
Feel that crisp, cool air? Feels like fall is here! I know everyone gets all pouty that summer is coming to an end, but not me. Bring on the boots and jeans and cozy sweaters, and most of all: bring on the apple picking and the baking! I got the baking bug this weekend and was inspired to test out a recipe inspired by IZZE’s sparkling apple flavor — a flavor full of that perfect green-apple tartness. The result? A mini apple-toffee “pie-let” — the name my husband dubbed this sweet treats when he saw them cooling on the counter. Full recipe below: Ingredients:
- Pie dough (use this recipe to make your own, or if you’re in a pinch, store-made works too!)
- 3-4 Green Apples (Granny Smith works great!)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp of brown sugar
- 1 tsp of granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of nutmeg
- Pinch of sea salt
- Chopped toffee bites (you can get pre-chopped Heath Bar in the baking aisle)
- Egg white wash
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Peel and thinly slice apples, add to a small saucepan with butter, sugars, spices and a pinch of sea salt.
- Let the apple mixture combine over medium heat until apples just begin to soften. Set aside and cool.
- Roll out pie dough on a floured surface (my marble pastry board is awesome for this — find a cheap one here!) and use a glass or bowl to cut out 5″ circles.
- Place about 2 tbsp of apple mixture in center of pie circles, leaving 1″ diameter around the edge, repeat with half of the remaining pie pieces.
- Top all of the pie bottoms with sprinkled toffee bits, and then add second piece of pie rounds to the top (consider cutting out a cute shape at the top for decoration).
- Seal the edges of the top and bottom crusts by rolling the edges in and crimping with your fingers or a fork.
- Sprinkle with more toffee bits and using a pastry brush, brush on egg white wash.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, serve while warm with IZZE Sparkling Apple.